Avocados. I love them. I could eat them by itself with a little bit of sea salt. I could eat them mashed up in guacamole with an entire bag of chips. And now, I can eat them in the most glorious, most creamy pasta I’ve ever had. And the best part about this is that there’s no cream or butter in this. All you need is simple, fresh ingredients. That’s it.
Avocados add a silky consistency and cheese-like richness to this dairy-free pesto recipe. Toss it with pasta, spread it on baguette slices to make bruschetta, or use it for a healthy mayo substitute on your sandwich. So how is this so creamy? Well, all you need are a couple of ripe avocados, fresh basil leaves, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. From there, you can just throw it all into a food processor and give it a whirl! Done and done.
Make Ahead Tip: Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent browning and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup canned corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.
- To make the avocado sauce, combine avocados, basil, garlic and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor; season with salt and pepper, to taste. With the motor running, add olive oil in a slow stream until emulsified; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta, avocado sauce, cherry tomatoes and corn.
- Serve immediately.
Want to receive free recipes in your e-mail? Subscribe now:
Serving size: 2-Tbsp.
- Per serving: 126 calories; 13 g fat(2 g sat); 2 g fiber; 3 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 26 mcg folate; 0 mg cholesterol; 0 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 236 IU vitamin A; 4 mg vitamin C; 14 mg calcium; 0 mg iron; 37 mg sodium; 151 mg potassium
- Carbohydrate Servings: 0
- Exchanges: 2½ fat
- Nutrition FactsServing SizeServings Per Container 4Amount Per ServingCalories 670.7Calories from Fat 307.8% Daily Value*Total Fat 34.2g53%Saturated Fat 4.9g25%Trans Fat 0gCholesterol 0mg0%Sodium 106.2mg4%Total Carbohydrate 80.7g27%Dietary Fiber 10.5g42%Sugars 5.2gProtein 14.3g29%*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- H/T damndelicious