This chicken and rice soup-to-go ticks all the boxes. Its low calorie, low fat, gluten free, quick and easy and absolutely delicious! Chicken broth thickened with eggs and flavored with lemon is a Mediterranean concept, so good that everybody got in on the action in some way or another…there are versions of it in Greece, Turkey, and Italy, as well as in Arabic and Jewish cuisines. The texture and flavor of the soup is incredible, it’s silky and lightly creamy (although there’s no dairy whatsoever) with a pronounced lemon tang.
Combine the lemon juice, rind, milk powder and stock powder in a small bowl. Divide among four 750ml (3 cup) glass jars with lids. Layer with the rice, spinach, peas, chicken and dill. Top each jar with an egg and a lemon half. Cover with the lids. Place in the fridge until ready to serve.
To serve, remove the eggs and lemon halves. Add 1 1/2 cups water to each jar. Stir until well combined. Cover with lids. Stand for 2 minutes or until the vegetables have softened. Break an egg into each jar and squeeze lemon halves over.
Want to receive free recipes in your e-mail? Subscribe now:
- 80ml (1/3 cup) fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, finely grated
- 35g (1/3 cup) full-cream milk powder
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free chicken stock powder
- 250g pkt microwave basmati or brown rice
- 2 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- 205g (11/3 cups) frozen peas
- 200g smoked chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 4 soft-boiled eggs, peeled
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1.5L (6 cups) boiling water